Re: ANNOUNCE: Glom 0.8.37

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 07:04, Murray Cumming wrote:
* Details view:
  - ID fields that identify a unique related record (e.g. a Company ID on
  a contacts record) now have an Open button, so you can go quickly to
  the related record.

Couple of suggestions based on the change log and this screen shot:
http://www.glom.org/screenshots/glom_data_details_related.png

1) Would you consider using a hyper-link instead of the open button to
navigate record relationships?  Basically style the text in ID fields to
look like hyper-links (blue and underlined) and on click open the
specified record.  I work with several apps that use this method and
users take to it like ducks to water as far as knowing what will happen
when they click the field.

This would save space and make the layout less awkward.  It will also
allow the use of a button beside field for other purposes I'll mention
below.

2) Lookup buttons for ID fields.  What if I have hundreds of contacts,
am I supposed to remember the IDs of all them?  Have a small button
beside ID fields that opens a small list window for picking the ID by
displaying several fields from the table.  For example: Contactid, Full
Name, City, State, Zip.  I believe you already have a list of fields
like this defined for each table?