Re: ANNOUNCE: Glom 0.8.12

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 11:06:22PM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 16:56 -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:43:26PM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

By the way, please do install the example file(s).

Will do. I'll put them in /usr/share/doc/glom/examples

For now, you might want to put the in doc/glom/0.8.x/examples.

When I change the database structure of an example then I will change
its postgres name too. That means that the new structure will be created
if you open a new version of the example. But you should be able to open
your old version of the example without losing your data or structure
changes.

Hm... well, the problem is that when a package update happens the file will be
overwritten anyway whether it's in 0.8.x/examples or just glom/examples.

That brings up another thing: If doc/*/examples is not writable by the
user, then he won't be able to use developer mode to change the database
structure (e.g. to edit fields). But I can't think of a better place to
store the examples.

Ok, I'll put a README.Debian (or just a README if you want to include it in
upstream sources) saying that the user should copy the file to somewhere
writable if they want to edit it and not lose their data on upgrade. That's the
best solution I can think of now. Maybe I'll put a note about it in debian/NEWS
so that anyone using apt-listchanges will see it on install as well.

 - David Nusinow