Re: Trouble Connecting to Postgres

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 11:24:23PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
Hello,
   I've managed to build the latest release of glom and run it, but it fails to
connect to postgres. postgres is running, and I can connect to it using the
psql terminal without any problems. I've tried putting in the connection error
checking code from the libgda docs, but it fails to build, and I don't have
much experience with gtkmm, so debugging it has been a bit tough. If you've got
any thoughts as to why it won't connect to the backend, I'd much appreciate
hearing them. Thanks!

So after a fair amount of work, I haven't reached a conclusion as to what's
going on, but I've found a few things:

 1) Upon trying to connect and create a new database, the database name isn't
 passed in the connection string for some reason, so postgres tries to use the
 user name as the database name. It then complains that the DB doesn't exist.

 2) If the database is already created by createdb, glom segfaults

 3) In the glom document, the database title, user name, and database name
 aren't filled in. If I fill them in manually and connect to the database after
 creating the DB using createdb, glom segfaults.

I'm rapidly trying to learn libbakery and such so that I can understand exactly
what's going on. This is definitely happening with both 0.8.9 and 0.8.10. This
is on Debian sid as well, using the most up to date libgda, libgdamm, and
libbakery available in tarball form. If you've got any tips on debugging this
further, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

 - David Nusinow