Re: [glade--] Learning to use glademm-generated code

J. Baltasar García Perez-Schofield schrieb:
	Thanks for the thorough instructions, I'm not used to work with a CVS.

CVS is a VCS (version control system) ;-)

Well, my impression is that the glade from CVS doesn't install all needed archives. This is the whole process, after ./autogen.sh, make, make install as root:

[root]$ rm -f /usr/bin/glade--
$ which glade--
/usr/local/bin/glade--
$ glade-- --gtkmmversion 2.4.0 sumador.glade
sh: line 1: automake-1.8: command not found
sh: line 1: automake-1.7: command not found
sh: line 1: automake-1.6: command not found
sh: line 1: autoconf2.50: command not found

It tries all known (to me) strange names under which automake/autoconf appear (because the standard automake is not always the newest). [I should hide the error messages though]

Found pkg-config version 0.15.0
Generating code for gtk 2.4.9 (pkg-config), gtkmm 2.4.0 (specified)
Using autoconf 2.59.0, automake 1.4.0, glib's gettext

oh dear, automake 1.4 is ancient, autoconf 2.59 is brand new. Perhaps a newer version of automake might work better.

which: no gnumake in (/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin/:/usr/games:/home/baltasarq/bin)
GNU Make 3.80 found

see above, this is blind probing.

./autogen.sh: line 49: gettextize: command not found

Ah, here's the problem. Either turn off gettext support in glade-2's C options or install gettextize (which populates the po and intl dirs).

/usr/bin/gmake  all-recursive
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/baltasarq/prys/glade-sumador2'
Making all in po
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/baltasarq/prys/glade-sumador2/po'
gmake[2]: *** No hay ninguna regla para construir el objetivo `all'.  Alto.
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/baltasarq/prys/glade-sumador2/po'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/baltasarq/prys/glade-sumador2'
gmake: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

As you can see, the "make" command fails.

cd src; make would work (besides possible gettext problems)

I would prefer to stick to only one gtk library and one gtkmm and one
glademm, but this is complex, as glademm is linked to glade (not
glade-2), and glade is linked to gtkmm2.0.0 ... have no way to uninstall
the extra stuff.
Sorry, I was talking about RPM packages. If you read my paragraph above understanding "linked" as "has a relationshiop 'required by' with the RPM package" you will understand immediately what I am talking about.

That is mostly nonsense. You might want to report to mandrake (IIRC). Glade-2 requires gtk+-2.0 (Version 2.4 recommended) and migth _suggest_ glademm, Glademm requires either gtkmm-1.2-devel or *2.0* or *2.4* (API 2.4 is recommended) and should suggest either glade or glade-2. Glademm (and glade-2) might suggest automake1.8/9 and gettext.

[Actually debian has 3 (or 4) stages of dependance/recommendation which might seem confusing first, but actually come in handy here]

Some of the dependancies might have been correct in the past (1.2 days)