Re: [glade--]linkage problem

bollu awtce be wrote:
Hi Christof,

Thank you very much for your answer.

It looks very complicate to get an operating C++ development environment
using pre-compiled (RPM) libraries/software (I couldn't find the compiler
version used to compile my gtkmm package and the one coming from Ximian is
the only one I found in RPM format.). Don't you think I should better
compile these by myself? It think this could be the easiest solution to
have compatibility between the various libraries/software needed. Please
tell me if I'm wrong.

I would say most preferable is:

- stick with your OS vendor's g++ and gtkmm as long as it fits your needs
	Sadly gtkmm is not overly actual in most distros
	and it's evolving fast and g++ 3.2 is not standard everywhere.

- take a usable source package (e.g. a .srpm) and compile with your environment of choice, install the package and forbid automatic upgrades on it

- freely choose your g++ version, gtk+ version
	deinstall vendor's packages
	(to avoid using old headers/libraries by accident)
	compile gtkmm and sigc yourself
	install
if you didn't chose /usr as prefix make sure that either the .m4 and -config (1.2) or the .pc files are found by aclocal/pkg-config. Usually this means to copy them from /usr/local/... to /usr/share/aclocal or /usr/lib/pkgconfig .

Since I now gtkmm2.2 and g++3.2 are part of debian/sid I am quite happy to forget about the third trickery. I remember it well :-( But I had tried solutions which were even worse.