[glade--]Re: [[gtkmm] glademm plans for deprecated widgets (2.0)]

Paul Davis wrote:
I don't understand why you would do this. If the user puts a GtkPixmap on a
glade UI (probably not possible with glade-2) then glademm should
a) Use a GtkPixmap for gtkmm 1.2
b) Fail for gtkmm 2

And vice-versa with a GtkImage. The simple solutions are the best.

can you briefly reprise the issue with Gtk{Pixmap,Image}. i know that
a GdkPixmap and a GdkImage are completely different entities with
different run-time performance. What is going on at the Gtk level? I
must have missed the summary of this when the issue came up ...

(By comparing the API) I would say that GtkPixmap is .xpm centric and GtkImage is more flexibly designed. You need to combine ImageLoader and Image to mimic the functionality of GtkPixmap. But since gtk2 supports even jpg and png there is no question of what approach to prefer.