[glade--]newbie glade-- questions

I've pawed through just about every piece of doco I can find,
and have not found the answer to this, so here goes:

I have built a glade (in C++ mode) app, after much
fiddling it's compiling ok (with some changes to src/makefile
after the autogen.sh).

I have a Dialog window with a spin-control in it.
(and an [Ok] [Cancel] button).

I have the 'changed' signal set up, and can catch that
signal, so my program 'knows' the spinner has changed,
but how do I get a pointer to the spinner control so
I can read the value?  Well I guess the real question is
How do I talk to a control in a dilaog window ?

I notice that in the *_glade.cc that the control is created
and the pointer (returned from the new) is not saved.
Can someone please explain how to do this, I've been fighting
with it for 2 days and am just abou tto give up.

thanks,
-kt

PS> While we're here, how do I make the [Ok] button on the dialog
be the default?  Fiddling with "Can Default" & "Has Default" doesn't
seem to do anything.

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: kingsley maddogsbreakfast com au)