[Glade-users] uni- versus multi-threaded gtk

Typo correction: the main calc while loop should've read

while (flag == 1) {

--- On Sat, 6/25/11, David Buchan <pdbuchan at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: David Buchan <pdbuchan at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Glade-users] uni- versus multi-threaded gtk
To: "Russ Mannex" <russ at mannex.com>
Cc: glade-users at lists.ximian.com
Date: Saturday, June 25, 2011, 2:01 PM

Thanks Russ!

I thought this would be a common situation and there should be a simple solution.
And indeed there was!

For anybody else following this discussion, I just inserted a few lines inside my calculation loop like so:

// main calculation loop
while (flag == 0) {
? make some heavy duty calculations;

// Check if the user has clicked any buttons (e.g., the STOP button)
??? while (gtk_events_pending()) {
????? gtk_main_iteration();????? // let the main gtk loop deal with it
??? }
? carry on with more ridiculously heavy duty calculations;
}

The way I set it up, if the user clicks the STOP button, a callback is executed which sets the flag to zero
(flag = 0). The main calculation while-loop then ends
 peacefully.

Thanks again Russ. Awesome tip.

Dave