[Glade-users] GtkHandleBox resizes to minimum when torn off

I've got a toolbar packed into a GtkHandleBox in my glade-3 project.
When I tear off the handle box, it resizes to minimum size.  Is this
normal behavior and I have to catch the event and resize the window by
hand?  Or am I missing a setting somewhere?  If I do have to resize it
by hand, what's the right way to find the optimal size of the toolbar?

I've googled around a fair bit on this and can't find any real
answers.  I found one way of dealing with it in PHP-GTK, but it used
some methods that don't appear to be in the C bindings.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan