[Glade-users] Dynamically adding menu items to menu bar

I'm trying to figure out how to programmatically add menu items to a
GtkMenuItem created with glade 3.4.5.

I have a blank menu item in the menu bar named "commands_menuitem" and
I want to add a submenu to it with menu items from a configuration
file.  But whenever I ask gtk builder for the menu item, it returns a
GtkAction.

What am I supposed to do to the GtkAction that is returned so I can
add more menu items to it?

Thanks,
Jonathan