[Glade-users] Virtual fingers

On 29 Jun 2008, at 15:44, M Murphy wrote:

Dear All,

Given that every button on a GTK interface has a name, can external
programs access those buttons?

In principle, yes; this is how the GNOME assistive technologies and
testing tools like Dogtail work, through the atk interfaces[1].

I think python is going to be your best bet for a scripting language--
it has good atk bindings, and both Orca[2] (the GNOME screenreader)
and Accerciser[3] (the a11y testing tool) use them to interrogate
running GNOME apps.

I guess Accerciser would be better to look at for learning purposes,
as one of its main jobs is to interrogate the widget structure of
running applications, and to send events to those widgets.

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/atk/unstable/
[2] http://live.gnome.org/Orca