[Glade-users] Drawing Area

I'm running into some problems with the drawing area widget. I need to understand how gtk creates the drawing
areas

Since I reference the drawing area in so many different functions, I created a dictionary much like this

daDict={}
daDict["da"]=wTree.get_widget('output_drawingarea')
daDict["width"]=da.window.width

and so on

now the problem is that if I put this in init(), then it keeps complaining that da.window is of type None
(I'm presuming this means that GTK has not finished creating the drawing area yet). Does GTK delay creating
drawing areas for some particular reason?

Cheers