[Glade-users] C Beginner question

Did you specify "ssh_user_entry" as the user_data for the "clicked"
event of the button in the glade file? Otherwise, you might want to use
glade_xml_signal_connect instead of autoconnect so you can specify the
user data. Sometimes if you have custom user data, you use
glade_xml_signal_connect_data for your connections instead.

void on_connect_btn_clicked(GtkButton *button, GtkWidget
*ssh_user_entry)
{
    const gchar *ssh_user_text;
     ssh_user_text = gtk_entry_get_text (GTK_ENTRY (ssh_user_entry));
    printf ("Entry contents: %s\n", ssh_user_text);
}

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
    GladeXML *xml;    /* glade xml file */
    GtkWidget *entry;

    gtk_init (&argc, &argv);
    xml = glade_xml_new (GLADE_FILE, NULL, NULL);

    /* get a reference to the entry widget */
    entry = glade_xml_get_widget (xml, "ssh_user_entry");

    /*
    assumes "on_connect_btn_clicked" is the handler name specified in glade
    and passes the entry widget as user data.
    */

    glade_xml_signal_connect_data (xml,
                                   "on_connect_btn_clicked",
                                   G_CALLBACK (on_connect_btn_clicked),
                                   entry);

    /*
    unlike PHP, you're responsible for freeing memory with C
    Below we are unreferencing the xml object in memory now that we've built
    the UI and obtained references to the widgets we need.
    */

    g_object_unref (xml);

    gtk_main();

    return 0;
}

- Micah Carrick

  Developer - http://www.micahcarrick.com
  GTK+ Forums - http://www.gtkforums.com

Lupine wrote:
Hello list and happy holidays!

I'm not new to Glade, but I am new to C...well sort of.  I've played
with C for a while, but I'm stronger in scripting languages like PHP,
Perl...etc.  However, I wanted to do a comparison of sorts, so I'm
porting one of my PHP-GTK/Glade apps over to C.  In doing so, I'm
finding the lack of documentation frustrating (simply because I don't
understand C that well). Can anybody point me to some good
documentation, besides the Gtk documentation?

For example, I know that I can go here:
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/x941.html to see the Gtk way of getting the
text entered into a GtkEntry.  However, how do I do it if I'm using
Glade.  I mean, the autoconnect should already know/create my widget, so
how do I simply call to the entry?

My GtkEntry widget is called "ssh_user_entry", and my GtkButton is
called "connect_btn", so I would assume the C/Glade way would be:

void on_connect_btn_clicked(GtkButton *button, GtkWidget
*ssh_user_entry)
{
      const gchar *ssh_user_text;
      ssh_user_text = gtk_entry_get_text (GTK_ENTRY (ssh_user_entry));
      printf ("Entry contents: %s\n", ssh_user_text);
}

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
      GladeXML *xml;  /* glade xml file */
      gtk_init(&argc, &argv);
      xml = glade_xml_new(GLADE_FILE, NULL, NULL);
      glade_xml_signal_autoconnect(xml); /* connect signal handlers */
      gtk_main();

      return 0;
}

However, this is not working.  I keep getting the following error when
clicking the button:

Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_entry_get_text: assertion `GTK_IS_ENTRY (entry)'
failed
Entry contents: (null)

In PHP-GTK it is MUCH easier, as all I had to do was:
class phpConnMgr extends GtkWindow
{
      function __construct()
      {
              $gladefile = $GLOBALS['gladefile'];
              parent::__construct();
              $this->glade = new GladeXML(dirname(__FILE__) . $gladefile);
              $this->glade->signal_autoconnect_instance($this);
      }

      function on_connect_btn_clicked()
      {
              $user = $this->glade->get_widget("ssh_user_entry")->get_text();
              echo "$user\n";
      }
}
$phpConnMgr = new phpConnMgr();
Gtk::main();

If you can let me know the proper way to do this in C/Glade, and/or let
me know where some simple examples of these common tasks are documented,
I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
-Lup

Glade-users maillist  -  Glade-users at lists.ximian.com