[Glade-users] GtkEntry not receiving focus as it should

I have a glade/gtk widget setup like this
    window->notebook->vbox->entry
and I want to have the entry autoselected everytime the user chooses the
notebook thumbnail that contains the entry.
So I have set up a signal check for the switch_page and then checking the
page_num, so far it works, but the entry
never gets selected.
Iv done the following thing
    print gtk_widget_is_focus(entry_calcinput)
    gtk_widget_grab_focus(entry_calcinput)
    print gtk_widget_is_focus(entry_calcinput)
It's basic, but you should get it quite easy...
And it prints:
    0
    1
so it should (has?) recieve(d) focus, but when running my program I still
have to select the entry by clicking on it.
Why?