[Glade-users] libglademm and DrawingArea

So why is my graphics context = NULL although I implemented the
on_realize function just as in the tutorial?:
void GCurveDrawingArea::on_realize()
{
  // We need to call the base on_realize()
  Gtk::DrawingArea::on_realize();

  // Now we can allocate any additional resources we need
  Glib::RefPtr<Gdk::Window> window = get_window();
  gc_ = Gdk::GC::create(window);
  window->set_background(red_);
  window->clear();
  gc_->set_foreground(blue_);
  std::cout << "Drawing Area realized!" << std::endl;
}

Ok - I found the problem myself - the on_realize function is not called!
Why?? The drawing works as it is supposed to now but where would I do
the initialization of the GC if not in the on_realize method?