[Glade-devel] Glade-3 Python clone

Hi all,

I just wrote a Glade-3 Python clone and I thought it would be fair to
let the Glade developers know about it.

So far it's mostly usable but no undo/redo and clipboard are working
yet. It also lacks a Menu editor and some other things but good thing is
it is about 5000 lines of code and I plan to do some strong refactoring
to reduce them even more.

So the million euros question is: why did I write such a clone?

- I wrote another GUI editor for our project (http://gruppy.sicem.biz)
but when I showed it to people interested in colaborations with our
project they used to say: 'why didn't you use Glade for that, we all are
used to Glade'. Even that our GUI editor goals were different than Glade
(we strongly focus on ERP software) we couldn't convince them.

- So we put all of our ERP specific functionality in a set of custom
widgets and decided to use them from Glade. First problem: our widgets
are written in Python and they can not be used from Glade. So this is
the main reason I wrote a Python Glade.

- Other reasons are code maintenability and as we want to add lots of
features to Glade so having a small codebase was a nice thing to have.

Here is the official announce of my program:

http://www.daa.com.au/pipermail/pygtk/2004-June/008041.html

Regards

Lorenzo Gil Sanchez