[Glade-devel] Embedding glade in other applications (like IDE )

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 18:23, Vomberg István wrote:
Hi!

You wrote in the HTML attachment:

<i>About Glade-3
Glade-3 is the developement version of Glade.

For the end user the most noticeable differences are:
      * Undo/Redo support in all the operations
      * Open multiple projects at same time
      * Removal of code generation
With regard to the last item, note that code generation has been
deprecated for a long time: the preferred solution is using libglade.
If you want to use code generation at any cost, the way to go is using
an external tool to process the .glade file and output code in your
language of choice.
The format of the .glade file is the same of Glade-2. </i>

----------------------

Is that means, the main difference in Glade2 and Glade3 will be the
absence of the generated interface.c file? The callbacks.c will be
generated, but the work of interface.c will be done by the libglade?

I would not say that it is the *main* difference (it's a rewrite after
all! ;-), but for the casual end user that used to rely on code
generation is one of the noticeable changes.

Note however that generating code is a _bad_ idea also with the current
glade-2 and it is strongly discouraged.
As a matter of fact the lack of code generation has nothing to do with
glade.3 per se; simply when glade-3 was being designed everybody agreed
that was such a bad idea that it was better leave it out from the start.

For example see this discussion:
http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/glade-devel/2003-February/000015.html

From your question I think to understand that you are not very familiar
with libglade. I suggest that you take a closer look to it and probably
use it in your own application.

Using libglade there is no need to generate any .c file. Glade-3 simply
creates the xml file ( .glade ).

It's up to the user load it where it fits best in his application, and
in whichever programming language he prefers.

ciao
        paolo