From: "Olexiy Avramchenko" <olexiy irtech cn ua>
To: "todd" <taf2 lehigh edu>
Cc: <glade-devel ximian com>
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Glade-devel] libglade ideas

todd wrote:

Hi all,
   I'm building an application that is relying heavily on libglade and
another xml binding.  I've noticed that because every part of the UI is
built using glade and loaded using libglade that there is a noticeable
performance lag in loading the .glade files.  To give you an idea of the
size of these interface files here is a line count.

   195 simo-attached-documents.glade
  1030 simo_calendar_view.glade
   202 simo_dialogs.glade
  1306 simo_event_view.glade
   278 simo-fsa-msa-hsa-reimbursements-eob.glade
  3314 simo.glade
  1799 simo-home-view.glade
  1305 simo-person-med-visit-detail.glade
   101 simo-person-med-visit-summary.glade
   100 simo-person-summary.glade
  1009 simo-person-view.glade
   563 simo-plan-reimbursements-eob.glade
   152 simo_plan_view.glade
   158 simo-provider-payments.glade
   343 simo-sidebar-dialogs.glade
 11551 simo-wizards.glade
 23406 total

I'm not loading them all at once; In fact I only load them once and
only when that part of the UI is requested.  My idea is to provide a
method for
dumping the .glade into a binary format.  after looking into the
libglade source it looks like it could be possible to bipass the xml
parse code if this
binary file exists and then just fread the data into the libglade hash
tables.  This should improve the load time by reducing the disk io.
(I think).

Just compress your glade xml files with gzip if you want to reduce disk
io. Libglade and glade UI builder works well with compressed xml files.

I also learned that this is not an original idea; it is in fact very
similar to what mozilla has done to improve its startup performance
with xul.  I thought
this would be something libglade would benefit from and that it would
be good for me to bring this up on the list.

Has anyone started work on something like this?  If not i'd like to
start work on it and get as much input as possible about different
ways to approach
this.

You can edit text/xml file with any editor from vi to MS Word and
compressed text will take less space than parsed binary file, I beleive.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/textualitychapter.html

    Olexiy