[Glade-devel] Re: glade code generation

One small thing: once we integrate Glade into Anjuta, the IDE will take
care of generating prototypes and stubs, and keeping track of modified
ones, etc. through sourcebase parsers. I'm hoping enough people will be
using Glade as part of the IDE (as opposed to a standalone app) to make
this point somwwhat moot.

We are planning to generate:
        1) Prototypes in header files (one file per top level widget)
        2) Stubs for the callbacks (One C file per top-level widget)
        3) One function (proto + actual code) to load and show the GUI using
libglade. OR
        3a) One function to generate the code to create the GUI (probably won't
be in the first implementation)

We will use sourcebase to keep track of which functions have been
generated and thus will avoid:
        1. Generation of duplicate code
        2. Overwriting user-changed code.
(The user is expected to change (2) and (3) but not (1) or (3a). Of
course, he can add more functions to the header/source files and we will
use sourcebase to keep these intact).

Does anyone see anything wrong with the above approach ?

Rgds,
Biswa.

Bill Haneman <bill haneman sun com> wrote:
<snip>

I do believe that handler stub generation is useful.  I advocate
improving it, not removing it.

Dissatisfactor with the UI generation code is what started the
discussion.

Right.  But AFAIR, no effective argument has been advanced against the
UI generation code.  Somewhat valid arguments have been advanced against
generating stubs, though---and these have been used in the overall
conversation.  So, lest anyone lose sight of the fact that they apply
/only/ to stub generation, I thought I'd throw that out.

In any case, I'm curious what value you see in stub generation (over and
above prototype generation, which can go into a non-modifiable file in
C)?

Jon Cast