[gitg] gitg with GTK3 or GTK2?

I cloned out gitg first from its github supported repository, where it
complained of undefined constant 'G_CONST_RETURN' among other things
and wouldn't build. I then downloaded the 0.2.5 release which did
build but gave me a GTK3 version. My question is - is it hardcoded in
the build scripts, the sources, both, or none? I haven't switched to
GTK3 yet, and right now my gitg looks ugly and as I don't have a
working GSettings backend, it warns me that no settings will be saved.
As I understand many if not all GTK bindings are backwards compatible,
and so a mere switch of GTK package version dependency would give me a
GTK2 gitg build, right?

--
Sent from my washing machine