RFC: A new allocator interface in GLib

Hi all,

There’s some discussion in GLib about dropping GSlice and adding a new
‘generic allocator’ interface to replace it:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/glib/issues/1815

We’re pretty convinced we’re going to drop GSlice. Less convinced about
the need for a generic allocator interface. There were some thoughts
that such an interface would be useful for bindings, so they could
integrate their language runtime allocator with the allocations done by
native C libraries which use GLib. There were also some thoughts about
such an interface allowing profiling of allocations for various
purposes (garbage collection, for example).

How useful would this be? If you haven’t done so already, please read
and comment on the issue above.

Thanks,
Philip