[Gimp-web] What happened to the plugin registry?

Hi everyone, I've been reading some previous emails on this mail-list
and it seems that something very bad happened a couple of years ago and
now the plugin registry is on readonly mode. But, I couldn't find the
details about the incident (there are dozens of emails since then).
Could someone kindly explain what happened? Also, I would like to know
if there is any other alternative to the registry right now.

This is my first time writing a mail-list like this one, so I'm sorry if
I did something wrong.

Looking forward for your answer.

Best Regards.