[Gimp-user] Query

I downloaded GIMP a few weeks ago. I wanted to change the background on a PDF file. The file was originally a
photograph (JPG) which I converted to a PDF file using Soda PDF Pro 12.
The photograph was of a printed document.

Now some kind person  told me in order to change the background to white without disturbing the print (e.g.
to change the background) I should do the following:

  1.  Load the PDF File
  2.  Click on 'Colors' (main menu)
  3.  Click on 'Map' (r.side menu)
  4.  Click on 'Color Exchange'.  (r. side menu)
  5.  Then in  the  'To Color' slot (lower of the two slots)  change  'Current' to 'White'.
I did this somehow and lo and behold the background to the page was WHITE  when I printed it out, with the
text print standing out much better than in the original.

Unfortunately, I seem to have got muddled at stage 5.   When I now change  'Current' to 'White' and then
click on 'OK'  I find the  'To Color' slot has reverted to Black. What am I doing wrong?

I attach three screenshots.

  1.  Before changing the color: 'From  Color = 'Black' and 'To Color' =Black
  2.  After changing the color:  'From Color = 'Black' and 'To Color' = White
  3.  When I click the 'OK' button: 'From Color = 'Black and 'To Color' = Black

Edmund Hogan