Re: [Gimp-user] (no subject)

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 10:52:56AM +0100, Hans Meilink via gimp-user-list wrote:
goede morgen,

kan je ook fotos in een map compleet schalen ?

mvrg H. Meilink

This list normally uses the english language!  I don't speak Dutch
or Flemish, but in google translate this is apparently
"Good morning,

can you also completely scale photos in a folder?"

If you can open the photo in gimp, you can scale it (the individual
photo, and be careful where you export it - you might, or might not,
want to overwrite the original).

1. 'export' because 'Save' and 'Save As' only save gimp's own xcf
format. The export command will let you type the required suffix for
the filename (for me it always defaults to .png' on first use) and
works well for jpeg and png files, probably also works for some
other formats

2. Some photo formats might not be supported, e.g. the current apple
format (heic) might not be supported in older versions of gimp, or
might require dependencies which were not provided when your version
was built.  I'm currently running 2.10.30, that supports it but I
recall I had to add various dependencies after someone sent a heic
photo to a mailing list.

3. Raw photos need a plugin which probably doesn't support all
current camera raw formats.

4. If what you want is to produce smaller jpegs, pngs, etc then it's
probably easier to use 'mogrify' from ImageMagick.

HTH

ĸen
--
    When it was cold, we used to sit by a candle for warmth.
    If it got really cold we lit it.