Re: [Gimp-user] How to highlight regions of an image

David,

The technique appears to rely on GIMP's Layers. That's where the the mode
in question will be. So, where is that? Here is an image of the main GIMP
screen (Windows install) with arrows pointing to the Layers "dock" -
usually by default on the right side of the GIMP layout - and the Mode
selection dropdown menu:

[image: image.png]

A mode does nothing on a single layer. They require a minimum of two. The
selected mode performs (yes, really) a mathematical calculation pixel by
pixel between the two layers with the result of the calculation what you
see. Here's a screen shot with a new white layer added, and the Mode menu
activated with arrows showing where Multiply is:

[image: image.png]

Modes are very useful. And frankly knowing the calculation performed is
less useful than simply playing with them to see what happens when various
modes are selected. Here are links for some web pages that explain modes
you may find useful (don't worry if the website talks about Photoshop, etc.
because blending modes are somewhat uniform across applications):

2. Layer Modes (gimp.org)
<https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-layer-modes.html>

<https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-layer-modes.html>Complete guide to
Layer Blending Modes in Photoshop, written, video + free ebook -
PhotoshopCAFE
<https://photoshopcafe.com/complete-guide-layer-blending-modes-photoshop/>

<https://photoshopcafe.com/complete-guide-layer-blending-modes-photoshop/>Ultimate
Guide to Blending Modes | Art Rocket (clipstudio.net)
<https://www.clipstudio.net/how-to-draw/archives/154182>

<https://www.clipstudio.net/how-to-draw/archives/154182>Blending Modes
Explained - The Complete Guide to Photoshop Blend Modes
(photoshoptrainingchannel.com)
<https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/blending-modes-explained/>

Photoshop Layer Blend Modes Explained (digitalphotomentor.com)
<https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/photoshop-blending-modes-explained/>

Blend modes - Wikipedia <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blend_modes>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blend_modes>Layer Blend Modes (foundry.com)
<https://learn.foundry.com/modo/15.1/content/help/pages/shading_lighting/layers/blendmodes.html>

Hope this helps!

--

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of
human existence.”

― Aristotle

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 5:59 PM David Karr via gimp-user-list <