Re: [Gimp-user] Update blocked by trend micro

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 7:21 AM James Moe via gimp-user-list
<gimp-user-list gnome org> wrote:

On 2021-11-11 15:02, Baz Shaw wrote:

I just tried to download the latest update from

https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.10/windows/gimp-2.10.28-setup.exe
It was blocked by trend micro with this report:

  Report was removed?

It would be interesting to see the actual report.

  Is "trend micro" a firewall product?

Trend Micro is a Japanese company specializing cyber security, FWIW.

If so, you may need to whitelist gimp.org.

Yeah.

Or if Baz wants to be a little more sure that there is no
man-in-the-middle or DNS cache poisoning, explicitly identifying
mirrors and checking their stated checksums for the download against
the checksum he gets on what he downloaded can give a reasonable level
of confidence. When I do that, it takes me an hour or two of hunting
around the web for the mirrors and the checksums and digging up the
MSWindows command.

(I've posted a page somewhere to remind myself and forgotten where I
posted it, so I usually end up looking for it on Microsoft's sites
again. FCIV is old news, BTW. Here's the command:

certutil -hashfile filename MD5

or whatever. But SHA-1 is better than MD5.)

--
Joel Rees

http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html