Re: [Gimp-user] Fw: scan-mirrage-effect-Problem with postcard

On Monday 10 May 2021 23:55:17 Liam R E Quin wrote:

On Mon, 2021-05-10 at 23:22 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
The moire pattern is without a doubt, from scanning a litho print
which
is microscopic patterns of different size colored dots that mix in
the
eye to make the color.

Did you look at the image?

No, I just got interested in the thread as it seemed to be going on for a
longer time than most, and the fact that I've shared chemical darkroom
space with a print shop so I am somewhat familiar with the tech that
probably printed that postcard.

Whats the date/time of the post containing the image?

And, most importantly, is that image raw, uncompressed staight out of the
scanners cable, very unlikely, or has it been passed thru a compression
utility, in the latter case all bets are off. Simply put, any scan good
enough to publish out of my scanner will be jpegged or png'd because the
raw scan is going to be half a gigabyte or more, and will be compressed
to under 300k base64'd for transport over the net. gimp is very good at
that, but it is not without lots of artifacts to the trained eye.

Although there's evidence of dot screen
atrefacts, that'snot what is being referred to.  In addition, the
stripes change direction on the second scan, suggesting they are not
coming from the actual postcard.

in that event, I'd blame that on sloppiness of the scanners head
transport linkage. A .1mm inconsistency of square would change a moire
pattern, a lot. or moving the card on the glass by replacing it on the
glass for the 2nd scan. Even if the lid is not raised, the scanner could
easily displace the second scan enough just from temperature effects to
change the pattern. Unsynchronized data clocking would also see to that.
In fact combining multiple scans with a 32 or 64 bit addition, and
decimating it back to 16 or even 8 bit depth by throwing away the lsbits
might well be the cure because it would cancel the moire pattern by
averaging the sums. But thats not practical to do on a large scale with
todays computers, but when we get 256 bit cpu's and terabytes of fast
ram it will be routine.

Astronomers with access to supercomputers do that stacking and
synchronizing of images all the time to Hubbles images to get the
amazing pix we get out of it. That scope is a time machine, looking back
in time as much as 13.8 billion years. To a time when the universe was
new, maybe 200,000 years after the big bang. We can't see any further
back because it was opaque before then. It had to cool a while before
light became uncoupled and could escape to begin its journey to Hubbles
single photon detectors.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis