Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP *super* slow on new iMac

Hi!

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 12:44 AM Liam R E Quin <liam holoweb net> wrote:

On Fri, 2021-01-29 at 04:41 -0800, Lani P. Richards via gimp-user-list
wrote:
I just bought a 27” 2020 iMac with full SSD (not fusion), 8GB memory,
AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4 GB, 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5.

Just drawing with the pen tool has a bunch of lag. This baby can do
5120x2880. Still, I cannot smoothly draw in GIMP because of extreme
lag. What’s going on?

We have a problem with GIMP on the Big Sur release of the Apple
operating system. We do not have a timeline for a fix - we have a
volunteer who dropped by and said he might look at it less than a month
ago, but i odon't think we've heard back since;

We have heard from him and he is quite active, but not so much on the IRC
channel, which may be why you get this impression. 🙂
Actually he just released a revision 3 of the DMG (like barely 2 days ago
and it was uploaded on download servers yesterday but not on the website
yet as we need to wait for mirrors to pick it up). I suggest to anyone with
issues to test it (gimp-2.10.22-x86_64-3.dmg):
https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.10/macos/

For the record, from feedbacks so far, the revision 2 DMG was already much
better on Big Sur, but it turned out it was slower for macOS before Big Sur
(for this, the revision 1 was better). Our new macOS contributor thinks
that this last revision should be better for everyone. We welcome feedbacks
to confirm (or oppositely to refute).

none of the core GIMP
developers are Mac programmers and we rely on volunteers.

Indeed as a general rule, GIMP is fully community-developed and relies on
volunteers (whichever the platform even).

And more particularly macOS has always been the platform with lowest
contributors (even since I started to contribute, this is the only platform
where we never managed to get more than 1 active and regular contributor in
the same time as I recall).
So we really encourage people who like GIMP on macOS to actually
participate. This is the only way for support to be actually reliable.

Jehan