Re: [Gimp-user] How to change colors of patterns

Akkana Peck wrote on 1/22/21 9:54 AM:
Dennis writes:
How do I change the shade/color of a pattern?

There are lots of ways. The easiest first step is to use the
Hue-Saturation dialog (or Hue-Chroma, if you prefer) and drag the
sliders around, especially the Hue slider.

If that doesn't do what you want, another way is:

- make a new layer on top of your image

- fill that layer with a solid color (now you'll only see the color,
   but your pattern is still there underneath)

- In the Mode menu in the Layers dialog, go through the whole list
   one by one, setting the mode on the solid-color layer and seeing
   the effect on the image. (Hint: once you've clicked on the Mode
   menu once, it has focus and you can cycle rapidly through the
   modes by pressing the down- arrow key).

Of course, the top layer doesn't have to be a solid color. You can
paint different colors on it corresponding to different parts of
your base image, so the same layer mode will turn different parts
of the image different colors. You can get all kinds of surprising
and interesting effects depending on how the top color combines with
the bottom color in different layer modes.

         ...Akkana

Akkana;

Thanks for the quick response! That first method sounds like exactly what I want to do. The second one sounds interesting also. I think I'll try that for some other things I am considering!

Many Thanks!
Dennis