Re: [Gimp-user] To the GIMP team - in need of an old version

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 11:16 PM Jacques Le Fèvre via gimp-user-list wrote:

Dear Jacques, I can def weigh in on some of your points but I'm of no
help regarding 2.4 builds. Sorry about that.

- The freehand selection tool: I need it very much to correct defects on
scanned slides. See attached example.

Closing the selected area on GIMP 2.4 takes only a release of the mouse
button. On GIMP 2.10, you need reaching the very pixel you started from,

Nope, you can release the mouse button and press Enter.

- The text tool: On GIMP 2.4, you can directly and continuously adjust
the font size so that it fits to the background. On GIMP 2.10, you have
to adjust the size of the layer.

Nope, you only need to select the text and adjust the font size in the
on-canvas toolbar.

I have produced this picture:
http://merleblanc-brest.org/images/planmax.jpg
on the laptop with GIMP 2.4. Because of the drawbacks, both with the
freehand selection tool and the text tool, it would have been
unpractical to perform the task with GIMP 2.10.

Neither v2.4 nor v2.10 are practical choices for this sort of thing,
the reason being, both versions rasterize a text layer once you rotate
it. Inkscape would be a vastly better tool for this.

The text tool definitely needs revisiting but it simply doesn't have
the problem you are describing.

- Saving pictures: With GIMP 2.10, this can be done only to .xcf, which
is recognised by no other software, so that such images cannot be used
on the web or included in documents. In addition, this flavour of .xcf
is not recognised by earlier versions of GIMP. You have to export the
final result of editing to other formats, and this does not always work
properly to TIFF files.

Please elaborate on the TIFF issue.

file (TIFF from my scanners). In addition, the colour space in GIMP 2.4
is the same as on my scanners, which is not the case in GIMP 2.10.

I'm guessing you are referring to sRGB there. I can't see how GIMP
2.10 is not capable of handling it properly. Please elaborate.

- CTRL-F: In GIMP 2.4, it repeats the last filter, in GIMP 2.10 it
repeats the last tool with the same settings,

There is no such thing as "repeating the last tool" in GIMP. Please clarify.

Alex