[Gimp-user] Hotkey to select image without clicking it?

Something that has always been irritating is that my "focus" will become set to
the Layers dialog, and then when I press the Space Bar to pan around, it instead
renames the current layer.  It is then fairly tedious to get it back to where
Space Bar does pan the image.   I have to select a tool, usually Rectangle
Select, and then make a selection on the image, press ESC, press Ctrl + Z to
undo any state changes, and then I'll be back in the mode allowing for Space Bar
panning.

I've put this off long enough.  Someone please tell me there's a better way to
re-enable this.

--
gravanoc (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)