Re: [Gimp-user] No gimp-python in Debian (Testing)

Scratch my previous replies.

There are two issues here. The first is to make python2.7 and friends,
including gimp-python, available in a system running testing. This could
perhaps be done by running a mixed stable/testing system. I've done this is
the past without major issues, but you'll need to set things like the
default release (APT::Default-Release "testing";) and other stuff.

Something like this is discussed here.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/60555/debian-is-it-possible-safe-to-install-packages-from-an-older-version-of-the-rep

The second issue is what happens when gimp-python *has* to be updated to
python3 some time in the future? Then all the python2.7 plugins will break.
Now the GIMP people do not supply the plugins and the best that they could
do is to publicise the change well in advance. Perhaps there could be two
gimp-pythons? There will still be plugins that don't get updated,
of course. There's nothing that the GIMP people can do about that.

Cheers,

Cliff

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 4:53 PM Cliff Pratt <enkiduonthenet gmail com>