[Gimp-user] Help with smoothing out selection

Hello,

Is there any way to smooth out a selection?  The magic tool works very well, but
too well in my case because it highlights artifacts in my image scan.   Attached
is a file where you can see the blue blob and it has a bunch of slashes in it.
I want to smooth out the blob so it does not have any of the slashes in it.
(This came from a scan that was damaged and I want to repair the artwork)  Up
until now I have done this by hand, but I feel like there is probably an easier
way than that.

Any help is appreciated.  If I have to keep doing it by hand I will, but hoping
there is some tool in Gimps toolbox that an help here :)

Thank you for your time,

Scott

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1369/original/test.gif