[Gimp-user] High bit depth PSD export

I am trying to make a 32bit linear float GIMP image stack available to photoshop users, but when creating a
PSD either via script-fu file-psd-save or the export menu the exported PSD always ends up as 8bpc.
This is unexpected since the release notes for 2.10 state that opening and exporting PSDs supports high bit
depth[0] and I am using 2.10.18.

On the other hand there is this source code comment[1] indicating that exporting only supports 8bpc.

Are the release notes mistaken or am I missing some precondition for high bit depth exports?

[0]
https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.10.html#gegl-port-high-bit-depth-support-multi-threading-and-more
[1]
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/blob/3f66f2df39e2567d8b22f1532bda1153dd99f68a/plug-ins/file-psd/psd-save.c#L538

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise
private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the
original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.