[Gimp-user] Recreating an image

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to recreate image no.1(bellow). So far I have created this
image no.2(bellow) but I am still not satisfied with the results. I have cloud
brushes installed but I feel like this requires more tools to be used. I do not
know what other tools or in what order to use them. So far I have been using
brush and smudge and adjusting opacity, hardness, size and toughness. I also
want to have this ''misty/foggy'' background behind clouds.

How can I achieve best results like in the first image? What steps do I need to
follow?

Thanks for your answers

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1246/original/image_no1.png