[Gimp-user] Scissors tool deleting entire background

Hi everybody,
I just started working with Gimp a week ago since Photoshop no longer works on
my Mac since the last OS update. Like it very much so far.

I was editing a picture and removing a lot of background. I was using the
scissors tool to select pieces of the background to delete them.

All of a sudden this no longer worked.
If I select a small piece with the scissors and then press delete it deletes the
entire image.

Does anyone know what is happening? Reinstalled Gimp in case I messed up some of
the settings but nothing changed after the reinstall.

--
JWtje (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)