Re: [Gimp-user] Infrared image to full color image

On 5/27/19 11:12 AM, robert hungate via gimp-user-list wrote:
I have an infrared converted Nikon d700, I would like to able to convert the image to a full color image.
Can some send be a procedure to follow?

Thank you for your time.

Colorizing images presents as a minor art & science in and of itself -
lots of techniques apply, and they vary from user to user and photo to
photo.  That said, this simple tutorial looks like a good starting point:

http://www.digitalphotoguide.net/post-production/colorize-black-and-white-photo-gimp/

One important detail:  Where the tutorial says "flatten the image,"
don't do that.  You would lose the ability to make adjustments to the
patch of color you just added.  Instead, name that layer after the color
it adds, add another transparent layer, and repeat the process described
for another color.  As you are looking for a finished project in "full
color", you will likely end up with a half dozen or more layers, each
new one adding a different color to different regions of the original
image.

The Hue / Saturation tool in the main GIMP toolbox will enable you to
make fine adjustments to your color layers as needed.  I expect this
will be a life saver.  So, too, might using the Smudge tool with a small
brush selected, to adjust the edges of the color patches to more closely
match/blend with the base image.

If your base image is not already in grayscale, you will want to convert
a copy of that layer to grayscale before adding colorizing layers above
it. Some adjustments to the brightness, contrast, etc. of the grayscale
layer may be helpful to get a more natural looking base image; if so try
the Brightness/Contrast and or Curves tools.

Save your project as an .xcf file "early and often" to assure you don't
lose any work.

:o)