[Gimp-user] Size photo so it will consistently print at a specific size

Hi there!

My friend and I are avid, rabid photographers.  ;-)  He is -far- more advanced
than I in using GIMP (GIMP 2.10.10 ~~  on Windows 10 machines) to edit photos
while I'm just learning.  But independently we have a "problem" we can't seem to
resolve -- so I am VERY MUCH hoping You have the answer!

We want to size / save an edited photo so it specifically will fit (without any
further editing, cropping, or other manipulations) a frame size -- ie, so we can
save it as what would print as an 8-1/2 x 10 ...or as a 7-1/2 x 11-1/2 inch
size.  Now, I'll copy his explanation -- and hope Hope HOPE you can please help
us??? Thank you SOOO Much!!!

His description of our problem:

" I need to be able to crop my photo with specific dimensions, ( 8x10 etc)
export it to thumb drive for photo store to print and frame. When I use
rectangle tool it’s a perfect square (wrong dimension).Once it’s a square and I
change to 8x10 it becomes a distorted photograph. I’m familiar with the image
scale process but the tool box on side of program confuses me. The fix ratio
etc. Why are there two places to change size? The Scale plus the tool box ratio
side? I’m missing a step or doing wrong sequence. I make sure I use inches and
also at least 300 DPI..When the photo store corrects to fit a frame much of
photo is lost including my signature at times. They all use PhotoShop or
Lightroom and unfamiliar with Gimp program. My photos are fine but I can’t crop
and scale to standard frame sizes for the print store. I found no Utube
tutorials for step by step to follow.

" I am totally baffled trying to save an image to specific size for printing at
a photo store. My imported photos into Gimp are 6000 x 4000 from camera (not
raw). I click on the rectangle tool which opens tools for ratios, fixed etc on
right side column of Gimp program. I change the pix numbers to inches such as
8.00 x 10.00 and hit fixed. The ratio I believe is at 1:1. Then I go into scale
and again change to inches and type the 8x10 again. After which I export as
.jpg. The two sizes I am most interested in are: 7.5 x 11.5 and the 8:00 x
10:00's. Watch all sorts of Gimp tutorials and found nothing that help with step
by step guide. In addition to this problem when I crop an image it's sizes are
uncommon for framing.. If anyone can guide me through this I would deeply
appreciate it."

I SO VERY MUCH HOPE YOU CAN HELP!!!

Thank you!!!

ps...............the saved image is simply because a file is required to be able
to post this question---it is not 'the' photo driving us nuts, just a thing to
be able to post our question; again, thanks!!

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1205/original/744259.jpg

--
SandyGranny (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)