[Gimp-user] Downloading Images from Internet

Was the Windows Installer installer gimp-2.10.12-setup-1.exe by any
chance?

This latest and greatest has changed the way file associations are
when Gimp is installed.

quote>>> associations code was rewritten when moving to IS6 to work
properly on modern Windows versions (and to work with per-user
installs). Instead of trying to make GIMP the default application for
file types selected during setup, it now instead registers GIMP as
being able to open all of the extensions it supports, which lets
Windows manage the associations.

see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/3546

Already seen a couple of WTF-is-going-on type posts,  Guessing, yours
is just another manifestation of the 2000-ish registry entries that
now get installed.

No real advice (move over to using linux maybe). Make sure that the
common file types jpg / jpeg / png / gif are set to use Gimp using the
Windows file associations  see:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-file-associations-in-windows-2624477

Out of interest, what happens if you add the appropriate file
extension to that xxxxxxxx file name?

Tried to change the extension, still came up as GIMP when I checked it in the
file folder.  I believe I found a workaround to the issue.  I had already gone
through the settings and tried to change at least .eps, .jpg, and .png files to
only open with either photos or my .eps viewer.  The workaround I found was to
download the image, then instead of just opening the image, go to the folder
where the image is located.  From there, right click the image name and select
Open With.  There I could chose either the .eps viewer or the photos.  I was
also able to check the box to say to open files of this sort with that
particular app from now on.  Problem solved for now at least.

--
scyr123 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)