[Gimp-user] Gimp Plugins

Thanks for the response.  I am running Ubuntu 19.04 64 bit.  GIMP is version
10.10.10.  When I navigate to ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins and run 'ls', there
are no files that show up.  In GIMP, if I follow the Filters dropdown menu to
Python or Script-fu, there is little there other than Console/Console-Refresh
Scripts-Start Server.

I would like to install GimpLensFun, G'Mic (which I understand is a plugin), and
explore some of the other offerings.
I do not find any GIMP plugins available in the Ubuntu software center, and, as
you seem to indicate, my online search returned plugins that I guess are for the
Windows version of GIMP.

GIMP 10.10 "flogged my eyes" such that I took serious notice of darktable which,
in the first 10.10 GIMP that I installed was called as the RAW converter
whenever I clicked on a RAW file to open it in GIMP.

I am very happy to have become acquainted with darktable, but have not spent
much time in GIMP lately.

I don't ask you to do all the work for me, just point me in the right direction.
When you say that plugins in the ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins folder have to be
set to executable, I understand what you mean, but have never set anything to
executable, so have no idea what I would be looking for or how to "flip the
switch."

I apologize for not giving you a better description of my setup in my original
post, but would appreciate if, given what I have described here, you could
provide a few more clues.

Thanks.

Caruso

From previous posts

https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/11905-installing-2-6-7-in-ubuntu

https://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/15347-adding-plugin-frustration

You were using linux and ubuntu then. Is that still the case?
Assuming (big assumption) you have updated over the years and are now
using Gimp 2.10

Generally, plugins either pre-compiled (binary) or python scripts, go
in your Gimp user profile. The hidden folder in your home
partition/directory ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins These plugins have to
set as executable.

The sites that list 'x' best plugins are mostly for Windows users and
links are to Windows plugins. The python plugins should work (but not
always), compiled (Windows) binaries, no good in linux although there
might be linux versions.

Where to get linux plugins? Depends on your linux distribution. Some
binary plugins are packaged (.deb or .rpm depending  on distro) many
not.

Traditionally linux users compile their own. Is this what your
question is really about?  Not always straightforward.

Python plugins are widely available, depends on your interests. A
search usually finds some reference.

Give more information, Gimp version / Linux distro and if 32 or 64 bit
/ some of those 'x' best plugins and you might get some leads.

--
Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)