[Gimp-user] Huge image problem

Hi,
So I am working on a many years long map making project. I am using a scale of
1" to 10 miles and hand drawing it on 9x12" panels of paper. The current size of
the map is about 20 by 20 feet. This is obviously too large to see in one place,
so I have been using GIMP to panel them together in a digital file. Obviously,
this file is getting quite large. I was hoping people might have suggestions on
how to reduce the size of the file without reducing the image quality too much.
It's only going to get bigger haha. I've got no experience with vector based
programs, is that the direction I need to head?

--
btt (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)