Re: [Gimp-user] [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

On 10/14/2018 05:48:41 AM, Casey Connor wrote:
Here is a bash script that will take an image file and open a link in
your browser to the openstreetmap.com site at that location.

It requires that the "exiftool" utility be installed, which you can
install e.g. on debian-based systems with:

*sudo apt-get install libimage-exiftool-perl*

Put the following in a file (preferably in a location that is in your
executable path), call it something like "locatepic".

*#!/bin/bash**
**sensible-browser `exiftool -c "%.6f" $1 | grep "GPS Position" | sed -r
's/^.*: ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*) ([NS]), ([0-9]*\.[0-9]*)
([EW])/http:\/\/www.openstreetmap.org\/search?query=\1%20\2%2C%20\3%20\4/g'`*

Many thanks to all that helped me with possible solutions, especially Casey Connor.
Many thanks, Casey.

I have elobrated his method a bit coming up with (calling it ShowImageLocation)

#!/bin/bash
qutebrowser `exiftool -c "%.6f" $1 | grep "GPS Position" | \
sed -r -e 's|^.*: ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+) ([NS]), ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+) ([EW])$|http://www.openstreetmap.org/\\?mlat=\1\2\\&mlon=\3\4\\&zoom=17|g'`

qutebrowser is a lightweight browser on Linux (e.g. Gentoo). One can use any other browser, as well.

I love the 'geeqie' image viewer. Luckily is has a very simple plugin mechanism (Edit-Configure Plugins). You can just add a new plugin by entering the full patch of the bash script above (ShowImageLocation)

Now, when viewing my photographs I just press the right mouse button and select Plugins->ShowImageLocation This pops up the browser (here qutebrowser) - or reuses it when it is open - with the exact location on Openstreetmap
where hits photograph was taken.

I do love open source since it shows more than one solution in most cases.

Many thanks to all, again
Helmut