Re: [Gimp-user] [offtopic] image viewer which can show the location on a map

On 10/13/2018 12:13 PM, Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list wrote:
On 10/13/2018 04:18:12 PM, Pat David wrote:
Possibly DigiKam?

Thanks Pat,

I've just installed DigiKam but I can't see any menu item to show the
location
where the image was taken.

The "show it on a map" part, vs. just showing the coordinates, seems
very unlikely for any image viewer.

If I had to do that for some reason, I would look into creating a shell
script to open the image in a simple viewer (imagemagick comes to mind),
then query the exif data (I think mediaifo does that), pipe that to grep
to return the line with the coordinates, then open a web browser with
the coordinates inserted into the URL as a search query by sed.  As sed
would be involved, I would spend quite some time reading man pages in an
effort to make it do what I want - that thing utterly baffles me.  :D

The devil as always is in the details, but I'm sure it would be possible.