[Gimp-user] global color changes

Rich....I have attempted to implement what I thought was your
suggestion.
I have stated it below. In trying to make my mask....I encountered a
problem.
I could not select a portion of my mask pattern to repeat by pasting
and anchoring.
Can you tell me what I might be doing incorrectly?

Goal
Create a test pattern of 24 pairs of vertical lines (one  black, one
of four colors) for an electronic sign 112 pixels wide and 48 pixels
high.  The color lines of the pair are Red or Green or Blue, or White.

You only asked about color-to-alpha and swapping black/white. However

First the arithmetic does not work with Gimp. 112 pixels in 24 (pairs) = 4.66
pixels. You can not split pixels.

Assuming you sort that out, I think you are over-complicating things.

You can use Filters -> Render -> Pattern -> Grid to generate vertical black and
white stripes 1 pair = 4 pix (2 + 2 )

I put up a set of guides = 28 to indicate the lack of match.  example:
https://i.imgur.com/5lAgF7f.jpg

note the guides fall on pixel boundaries so are not all equal width.

Sets of black/red , black/green , black/blue most easily done by adding coloured
layers with those layers in 'multiply mode'

Turn visibility on or off for colour, export as png's for individual images.
example: https://i.imgur.com/A5ARfHj.jpg

attached the xcf to play with.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1054/original/rgb-b-w-stripes.xcf