[Gimp-user] resizing image creates blurry image

I'm trying to resize an image from 398x398 to 28x28.  I've followed several
guides and each time gives me the same effect.

Things I've tried:

1. Resize to 28x28 using NoHalo
2. Apply Gaussian blur then resize using NoHalo, finally using Unsharp Mask to
sharpen
3. Resize to 28x28 using LoHalo
4. Apply Gaussian blur then resize using LoHalo, finally using Unsharp Mask to
sharpen

each of them came out with the same effect of the image being blurry.  I'm not
sure what I'm doing wrong and none of the guides I've seen seem to help.

--
firefly24 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)