[Gimp-user] Desert heat haze effect

Try using the ripple filter and motion blur in combination.

This my attempt using Gimp 2.10.0 - easier to show filter effects as
settings change but same if Gimp 2.8 is used.

https://youtu.be/pv4t2LrfUKk  3 and a half minutes

Not too good, but might get you started.

Not bad at all.  I ended up using Ripple, followed by lWarp to break up the
evenness in ripple and then a small amount of Gaussian Blur - it did what I
needed, which was more of an illustration.  I think your approach is much better
for something photographic.  Many thanks.

--
garrettlynch (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)