[Gimp-user] Gradual opacity and photo stretching

Check out this 2 snipping tool file I made of 2 versions of my CD back

I thought also it would be nice to move the pic to the right so you
see more of the girl and on the left where it's only ocean and land to
maybe stretch the pic to make up for the blank space I'd get on the
right if I moved the pic over. I used the entire pic to fill this back
panel, no cropping.

A spare half hour so, had to dig up some comparable images.

With the image you are using, a copy paste would work. That left side will take
a bit of distortion, although a bit of cloning might eventually be required.
Just work on a single image.

Increase the canvas size Image -> Canvas Size. Width only, maybe 300 pix set to
all layers.

Make a narrow (say 300 pix) selection on the left side. Copy then paste to get a
floating layer.

Resize the floating layer with, dragging to the left. Anchor the floating layer.

Move the whole layer to the right.

Another way, seam carving, uses a Gimp plugin 'liquid rescale'
http://liquidrescale.wikidot.com/ Downloads and examples there.  The image you
are using might prove difficult with this method.

Both these as a demo in a single video https://youtu.be/9TlmZTeECzg  duration 6
1/2 mins

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)