[Gimp-user] ufraw -- exposure vs base curve

Hi Folks,

Not sure where to ask this as I couldn't find a ufraw forum, but I
figured a number of users here might be able to answer.  Please
redirect me if this is inappropriate.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between manipulating the
base curve in ufraw and boosting the exposure?  I'm wondering in
terms of where in the processing pipeline the change takes place.
i.e. If I could manipulate the base curve to make the image look
exactly the same (to my eye, I know it's not perfect) as boosting
the exposure, is there fundamentally a difference in the result?

Thanks,

Gary