[Gimp-user] Help with Selection Tools Issue

I am a beginner to GIMP but I've done some stuff in PSE.  I recently downloaded
and installed GIMP.  I wanted to play around a bit so I dragged in a simple jpg
illustration and wanted to remove the white background.  I tried to use the
"magic wand" / fuzzy select tool,  but instead of activating the section I
clicked, the entire image began to fill with black pixels growing outward from
the image itself and spreading inward from the edges.  The action is locked and
continues no matter what other tool I try to activate.  There is no stopping it
and "undo" doesn't work.  I've uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded again and
everytime is the same.  Can someone help me?
Thanks,
Kathy

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/837/original/Publication1.png