Re: [Gimp-user] Drop shadow

I have an idea for you, but I have no idea whether or not you want to spend
this kind of time greating an animated GIF.  GiMP can of course do it, but
you would almost be better off drawing the cells by hand and usinging your
smart phone and a GIF-making app to get the final result.

If you care creating a drop shadow, you are using layers to get there,
right?  Even the filter uses layers.  But in GiMP, to make an animation,
each cell has to be a layer -- so you must effectively flatten the layers
every time you make a new cell.

My thought is this: you need to have 3 images open:
1. Your master image in which you are creating each cell (using layers)
2. a "slave" image in which you flatten the master and then convert from
RGB to indexed
3. your animation file, in which you paste each new cell as a layer as you
convert it

If that workflow doesn't make sense to you, I can give you more steps to
follow.  The idea is that you are doing the high-res, high-quality work in
the master image; you are taking the master image each time you change it
and flattening it down and reducing the colors for use in a GIF; and you
are assembling the GIF in its own indexed-color file.

Hope that helps!